Friday 4 September 2009

I'll go no more a-wailing...

'You had to make it sound worse than it was, didn't you?' asks Eva, doubtfully.

And yes, it's true.  Let me reassure you both (single reader and single friend).  Wales was not all wailing.  For comic effect I may have turned up the volume on the misery to deafening proportions but in fact we had a very funny and restful time.  Eva, who is the kindest and jolliest person I know - as well as a wonderful hostess - is patience personified, and was - as ever - a beacon of good humour who laughed obligingly and heartily at all my jokes until we were both bent double like cackling old crones.  Sitting swapping gossip in one's pyjamas (or purple silk) half the day, staying in bed till four pm - great food, great company, crap weather - what's not to like?